Monday, February 10, 2014

Media Cabinet Progressing

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Over the weekend I was able to get a good bit done on the Walnut Media Cabinet. Last time, I had cut the first set of dados into the bottom to accept the vertical partitions. What I needed to do, after fitting the outer partitions was to construct the swing out doors. I need to do this before routing the next set of dados so I know exactly where they are supposed to go; basing the cuts off of the actual piece and not pre-determined measurements has saved me a few times.

First I needed to route the dado for the two shelves that will be in the swing out doors.
From MediaCabinet

Then I attach the bottoms, which are dovetailed.
From MediaCabinet

Then I glue them together. Here you can see the front of one, and the back of the other.
From MediaCabinet

Once that is done, I use these doors to mark the location of the next set of dados for the inner partitions and rout them.
From MediaCabinet

Here are the partitions just dry fit so you can get an idea of how it will go together.
From MediaCabinet

Notice how the outer partitions do not come all the way to the front; that is where the swing out doors go. This is a close up of the partition in the dado.
From MediaCabinet

Im using pocket doors for the two center doors. Ive not used them before so I am doing a little pre-layout so I know what to expect with my real doors.
From MediaCabinet

Next, I needed to begin to construct the two middle doors. So I book matched some 8/4 boards to make the center panels.
From MediaCabinet

I just love the grain on these, especially the one on the left. I actually didnt see this grain until I had milled it and cut them apart. Now the are glued up and ready for me to route the profiles on them and assemble them, just like the doors before.

Once these doors are put together I am going to see what wood I have left and what is left to be done. I thought I would have enough to do the whole thing, but I am going to be short on the wood needed for all the shelves and the back panels. So it will be back to the lumber yard this week so I can be ready for the weekend.

Be Safe!

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment